Location Buckingham House
Job Title Optical Assistant
Department Rodericks Eye Care Limited (REL)
Period of Contract Permanent
Accountable To Senior Optical Assistant
Hours of Work 40 Hours per week, including potential late nights and weekends
Annual Salary Competitive
Requirement – at least 1 years Optical Assistant experience
About the company
Rodericks Eye Care Ltd (REL) is a new venture created by Rodericks Limited, a dental corporate with over 70 high quality, modern dental practices in England providing excellent NHS and private dental care to thousands of patients every week. The aim of our optical service is to provide optical care back in the healthcare setting with modern facilities, quality and a value offering for our patients.
In December 2013 we were included in the inaugural publication of the London Stock Exchange Group’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain, a list of the 1000 most inspiring SME’s in the UK. In December 2014 Rodericks Ltd were recognised in the top 25 fastest growing independent companies in the UK healthcare sector.
Purpose of the Post
To deliver excellent customer service and patient care to patients using our optical services. To work within GOC and other governing bodies and NHS contractual guidelines.
The post holder will be directly accountable to the Director and optometrist for the overall performance of the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
This patient-centred role can be broken down into three core areas;
- Receive inbound calls from patients in a calm and professional, caring manner.
- Make appointment reminder calls to patients.
- Receive queries from patients, ensuring that full details have been received, understood and referred on to the appropriate person efficiently.
- Communicating with suppliers regarding stock and supply matters.
- Develop a strong understanding of diary management guidelines;
- Book appointments for patients by telephone/at desk.
- Generate reports as detailed by the company and within the deadlines that have been set.
- General administration duties relating to the optical business.
- Receive patients in a professional and caring manner as the face of the optical service.
- Open dialogue with patients browsing the shop floor, inviting questions and demonstrating a patient orientated service is offered.
- Understand products and pricing, and give a clear explanation to patients.
- Have conversations with patients to gain an understanding of their needs based on lifestyle, hobbies, occupation etc; be aware of latest season trends, popular colours and looks and be confident discussing this with patients.
- Have a strong understanding of our current offers and promotions, giving clear explanations to patients so that they can make informed decisions.
- Recommend to patients, suitable frames based on style, fit and prescription.
- Have a detailed understanding of prescriptions and what qualifies under NHS regulations.
- Make minor repairs to frames.
- Fitting new glasses to patients, ensuring they are secure and comfortable for the patient or adjusting as necessary.
- Aftercare; adjustments to glasses where the patient reports uncomfortable or unsecure fit.
- Check in new stock orders, ensuring that stock received matches the delivery note.
- Taking prescriptions from patients’ current glasses.
- Delivering tasks such as visual field tests and retinal camera as directed.
- Educating patients on contact lens use and maintenance and care regime.
- Ad hoc tasks as requested within the remit of the role.